Monday, January 19, 2009

1000 Aces

Congratulations, Larry!

Today I experienced an unusual card playing hand. Four of us have traditionally played Pinochle on Martin Luther King Day for a number of years. Today, Larry managed to meld a hand with "1000 Aces". That means he has all the aces in the deck. Two of them were passed to him after he took the bid. While I don't know the odds for such a hand, I've never seen one before and I'm sure it'll be a long time before I see one again. If it hadn't been for those 1000 aces, my partner, Jack, and I would have won the day - maybe.
Larry's partner, Edsel, recalled this happening in another game he played...
"A few years ago, one of my partners raised the bid from 24 to 27 indicating that he had 5 or more aces. That bid requires a response if holding one or more aces, so I raised the bid to 29, indicating two aces. Elated (like Larry was), my partner raised the bid to 129 in his exuberance. It turned out that all we had for meld was the 100 aces plus a marriage for 102 meld. Taking all the tricks still left us 2 short in making the bid! What a way to go set, huh?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to Go Larry!

According to http://davepete.net/pinochle/

2 Aces in all four suits, 1000 aces, 1000 pts
Odds = 1:100

Seems kinda low odds to me. Maybe I'll keep looking.